As we get older, aches and pains that we typically deal with become more and more prevalent. At any age, we may experience pain in our joints and muscles from overwork or repetitive motion, prolonged or vigorous exercise, sitting too long, or holding stress in our body.
Why Topical CBD is a Great Natural Alternative to Over the Counter/Prescription Drugs
While body aches may present discomfort for anyone, some conditions that make it worse, such as, arthritis and autoimmune diseases such as fibromyalgia and lupus.
Many remedies exist to help alleviate the discomfort of aches and pains, but can come with some serious consequences or don’t work the way we need them to:
• Over the counter medications such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen may provide relief, but come with complications sometimes as severe as liver damage.
• Prescribed pain medications are potentially addictive and have other serious side-effects as well.
• Supplements and natural remedies don’t always bring immediate relief and even something like soaking in a tub with Epsom salts doesn’t work for those with limited mobility.
• Topical creams seem like a good idea, but the key ingredient in many, methyl salicylate has toxicity issues, and even more natural products like Tiger Balm come with an eye-watering aftermath.
How CBD Products Work With the Endocannabinoid System
Topical products containing CBD offer a fast acting and safe remedy for the relief of muscle and joint pain. Cannabidiol (or CBD) derives from the cannabis sativa plant, the same plant which produces marijuana or THC. Plants are defined as cannabis or hemp when their THC level measures under .3% while marijuana plants have THC levels of .5 to 30%. The cannabinoid THC provides the euphoric high that many people associate with marijuana.
CBD works on and with the human body because of the endocannabinoid system or ECS. The ECS was discovered in the 1980’s as research was conducted to explain why cannabis helped so many different conditions. The ECS runs throughout the body including every organ and system in all mammals. Made up of small endogenous acidic molecules referred to as endocannabinoids, the design of the ECS directs it to target the organ or system that is in need of repair.
How Topicals Work With the ECS
Creams and salves that contain CBD work with the skin by penetrating the C1 and C2 receptors directly. The sensitivity of the body’s largest organ (the skin) causes an almost immediate signal to the DNA to produce a protein to halt the production of arachidonic acid which causes pain and inflammation.
• Muscular pain
Additional Benefits of Using CBD Topicals
One of the most significant benefits of using topical CBD products to relieve aches and pains involves the fact that there are virtually no adverse side-effects such as those found in over the counter or prescription medications. Additionally, CBD oil contains essential fatty acids and vitamins. There are other added benefits to using products containing CBD or CBD oil as well such as:
• Aiding in proper digestion